Coordinates: 24°23’20.6″S 27°51’15.2″E
Do not let Google Maps decide your route or drive the backroads through Thabazimbi. Their ‘quickest’ route often turns out to be over severely damaged roads.
From OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg:
- Take the R21 north to Pretoria (Tshwane).
- Closer to Pretoria turn off the R21 onto the N1 and continue north past Pretoria towards Pietersburg (Polokwane).
- At the Kranskop toll gate turn left on the R33 to Nylstroom (Modimolle).
- Go through Nylstroom and drive through Vaalwater . (Do not turn right on R33 to Ellisras in Vaalwater – continue straight to Bulgeriver/Thabazimbi)
- 8km after Vaalwater turn left on the Bakkerspas road. At the boom gate, please send us a whatsapp or call us on the lodge cell phone. There is no cell reception on Bakkerspass. This way we can estimate your time of arrival.
- Drive 29 km on the gravel road and find Kololo’s gate on your right.
- Press intercom button and state your name. Release the button so we can reply and open the gate for you.
- Bakkerspass condition changes due to rainfall. During summer (wet season; November – April) a high clearance vehicle is recommended. During or after heavy rainfall, please feel free to contact the lodge on the morning of departure if you’re uncertain about your vehicle.
- Total distance from Airport to Kololo is 280km. Depending on the weather, this is about a 3.5 hour drive. (The last 29km will take you between 40 – 60 minutes)
Please note: Check-in before 17.00). If you are expecting to arrive after this, please let the reception know before 15.00, so they know what time they can expect you.
A late check-in fee (R500) is charged for arrivals after 18.00. Please contact us in case of unexpected delays so we can assist. Drive safe!
Please note: the gravel road directly between Thabazimbi and Kololo Game Reserve going past Marakele is in a very bad condition and should not be used. Rather take the R510 from Thabazimbi towards Lephalale and then turn right on the R517 towards Vaalwater.
Getting to Kololo
You can travel to Kololo Game Reserve in two ways:
1. by own (rental) car
2. Transfer by luxury bus/car
1. Own car
If you drive by car to Kololo, you can find the route descriptions from OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg above.
2. Transfer by bus/car
The transfer fees are subject to change depending on the date of booking and number of people. Often these prices will vary depending on certain packages and routes taken. The Kololo Game Reserve will confirm the exact price at the confirmation of your booking.
Along the road the bus stops at various gift and food stalls. We therefore advise you to exchange money beforehand.
- Rates on request ( email@example.com )